Exodus 20 The List of The Ten Commandments
10 Commandment List
And God spoke all these words, saying, I am Jehovah thy God, who have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Thou shalt not make thyself any graven image, or any form of what is in the heavens above, or what is in the earth beneath, or what is in the waters under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them; for I, Jehovah thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons to the third and to the fourth [generation] of them that hate me, and shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
- Thou shalt not idly utter the name of Jehovah thy God; for Jehovah will not hold him guiltless that idly uttereth his name.
- Remember the sabbath day to hallow it. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work; but the seventh day is the sabbath of Jehovah thy God: thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy bondman, nor thy handmaid, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore Jehovah blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
- Honour thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be prolonged in the land that Jehovah thy God giveth thee.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Thou shalt not desire thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not desire thy neighbour's wife, nor his bondman, nor his handmaid, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbour's.
This list was taken from John Darby's translation of the 10 commandments.
How do we know there are 10 in the list of the commandments?
We know there are 10 in the list of the commandments because the scriptures in the Bible refer to them that way three times in Exodus 34:28, Deuteronomy 4:13, and Deuteronomy 10:4. Exodus 34:28 "And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments." Deuteronomy 4:13 "And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone." Deuteronomy 10:4 "And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me." However in all three instances according to Strong's Lexicon the Hebrew word translated commandments actually means "a word; by implication a matter (as spoken of) of thing; adverbially a cause." (Strong's H1697) The Hebrew word which actually means commandment is Strong's H4687 which is from Strong's H6680. The first time the Hebrew word for commandment appears in the book of Exodus is Exodus 15:26 which says "And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee."
The reason the Ten Commandments are referred to as the 10 words is that the 10 commandments is the covenant that God made with the elders of Israel at Mt. Sinai. God promised numerous blessings if the children of Israel would obey his commands. He also promised cursings if they disobeyed. Today America has disobeyed these commands and is suffering the consequences. We need to repent and believe the Gospel. Jesus said in John 14:15, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Printable List of the Ten Commandments in the KJV
Enjoy these Bible Verses from 10 Commandments ListRevelation 1:5-8
5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth.
To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
6 and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.
8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End," says the Lord, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
Vision of the Son of Man
1271 Eastland Rd.
Sparta, TN 38583
Type email address, it will not copy.